Friday, October 21, 2011

Tiny Toddler Shrug

This started as an idea for a crocheted sweater dress for my toddler. But I realized partway through that it would be a little too long and a little too narrow to work as a dress. So I scrapped that idea. I turned the rectangle I had made on its side, sewed a couple little arm seams, and presto-chango, I had made a little shrug! I think it turned out so super cute.







I've even put together a pattern, my first crochet pattern. How awesome is that!

Tiny Toddler Shrug


Size: 24 month. Make a larger or smaller rectangle for other sizes.

Materials:
Small amount worsted weight yarn, colors A and B
Size I crochet hook

Special stitch:
5 dc cluster: (yo, insert hook into next st, yo, pull up a loop, yo, pull through first 2 loops) 5 times, yo, pull through all loops on hook.

With color A, ch 46.
Row 1: 2dc in 4th chain from hook (turning ch counts as first dc). *Sk 2 ch, sc in next ch, sk 2 ch, 5 dc in next ch.* Repeat to last 3 ch. Sk 2 ch, 3 dc in last ch. Drop color A. Do not turn.
Row 2: Join color B with sl st in top of turning ch at beginning of row 1. Ch 1, sc in same st, *ch 2, make 5dc cluster, ch 2, sc in 3rd dc of 5dc group.* Repeat to last 5dc group. Ch 2, sc in last dc of previous row, dropping color A and picking up color B. Turn.
Row 3: Ch 3 (counts as first dc), 2 dc in first st. *Sc in top of cluster, 5 dc in next sc.* Repeat to end, making 3 dc in last st. Drop color A. Do not turn.
Rows 4-38: Repeat rows 2 and 3.
Fasten off.

Make sleeves by folding the rectangle lengthwise, and sewing a seam 4 inches up each end, as shown. Turn right-side out, and put it on your little cutie!








Linking to friday fun finds at kojodesigns, and Feature Yourself Friday at Fingerprints on the Fridge.

No comments: