Friday, October 28, 2011

Crochet Critter Ears

My kids want to be animals for Halloween this year. Thomas has been insisting on being a bat for weeks. Zaylee recently decided she wanted to be a cat.

Bats and cats have ears.

Hence, this post.


I wasn't really in the mood for sewing last night, but I knew I needed to work on the costumes, our Halloween party is on Saturday. So I grabbed yarn and hooks and came up with these cute little critter ears. The black ones are bat ears for Thomas, and the light brown ones are cat ears for Zaylee.

And I even wrote down the pattern for the ears so I can make them again and again, and so I can share it with you!


Critter Ears
Materials:
Thick, fuzzy yarn for outside of ear (I used Lion Brand Homespun), or you can use two strands of worsted weight held together
Worsted weight yarn for inside of ear
Size K (6.5 mm) crochet hook
Size H (5 mm) crochet hook
Headband
Glue gun

Special stitch - sc2tog. (Insert hook into next stitch, yo, draw up a loop) 2 times, yo, draw through all three loops on hook.

For large outer ear, use size K hook and thick yarn. For small inner ear, use H hook and worsted yarn. Both sizes use the same pattern.

Make 2 large and 2 small.
Ch 9.
Row 1 - Sc in 2nd ch and each across (8 sc)
Row 2 – Ch 1, sc in each across
Row 3 – Ch 1, sc2tog, sc in next 4, sc2tog
Row 4 – Ch 1, sc in each across (6 sc)
Row 5 – Ch 1, sc2tog, sc in next 2, sc2tog
Row 6 – Ch 1, sc in each across (4 sc)
Row 7 – Ch 1, sc2tog twice
Row 8 – Ch 1, sc2tog
Fasten off, weave in edges.

For the bat ears, I added a round of sc all the way around the outer ear. This is optional, it just smoothed out the edges of the ear. This was unnecessary on the cat ears because of the fuzziness of the yarn.

Use hot glue to attach small inner ear to large outer ear.

Wrap matching yarn around a headband, using hot glue to secure it periodically so it won't come unwound. Then glue the ears onto the headband.

1 comment:

Melanie @ bear rabbit bear said...

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing the pattern. Found you via Tatertots and Jello.

I have a custom blog button giveaway going on now at my blog if you're interested in checking it out!

Melanie
http://bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com/2011/10/things-ive-done-thursday-and-blog.html