Saturday, March 5, 2011

Six-Pocket Tote Bag

I recently received a box of fabric from a lady at church. She had noticed that I do a lot of sewing, and wanted to "donate" some of her stash. So for the past several days, I have been thoroughly enjoying going through the box over and over, getting to know my new fabric. Some of it is absolutely adorable, with a sort of retro vibe - Love it! I used three of those fabrics to make myself a new bag.


I have to say, I absolutely LOOOOVE the way this bag turned out! Look at those fabrics! The colors, the patterns, I'm in retro fabric heaven. To make this bag, I used this tutorial from the Better Homes and Gardens website. It was fairly simple to make; it took an hour or two at most.

I recently ordered two sizes of bias tape makers, and they arrived yesterday. I was able to use my 2' bias tape maker to made the straps for the tote bag. The instructions say to "Fold a 4-x-34-1/2-inch strip in half lengthwise with wrong side inside; press. Open and fold long edges into center; press. Refold in half and press," - basically it says to make double-fold tape. So I used the bias tape maker and it made it so easy! I already love my new tool.

This is the one I bought, it was 40% off!

Anyway, back to my adorable bag. It has six small outer pockets, three on each side. The straps separate the pockets, and add a totally cute accent.


There is one large inner pocket. It is lined with batting, so it holds its shape well. This wasn't in the directions, but I top-stitched around the top of the bag. I like the way it looks better.


I think this will be my new church bag. Or purse. I haven't decided yet.

One last look:


Love it!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

How fun! You did a great job!