Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Kokeshi pincushion

I lived in Japan for several years as a teenager. One of my favorite aspects of the culture is the cute little dolls and other trinkets that they make. Hachinohe horses, scroll dolls, washi boxes, and especially kokeshi dolls - I just love them! So my newest pincushion is a sweet crocheted kokeshi doll. Isn't she adorable?


 

I used this pattern from Ravelry, with a few changes. I added a few rows to the body, and didn't add sleeves. Also I made a little obi tie for the back.



Seed beads for the eyes, and some straight pins in the hair complete the doll. She's glued onto a simple empty thread spool. Eventually I might paint the spool a different color, but for now I like it just as it is.



Little Kokeshi is a bit dwarfed by Miss Dress Form. Eventually I want to have a whole row of pincushions of different heights, colors, and styles, all lined next to my sewing machine. And yes, they will probably all have names. Won't that be fun?



Linking to Tatertots and Jello Weekend Wrap Up Party

No comments: